Regarding Low Quality Posts
Dear Members of FreeVPS.us,

I have noticed lately on the forums that there are a lot of threads asking for best software or best hardware, or what software do you have to play such and such a file, etc. Which is all well and good, but the replies to these threads seem to be lacking quality.

Anyone can read a list of software on the internet to play a Blu-ray disc for example, but what makes a forum thread different from a list, is that people will generally read a thread to get opinions on the software (or whatever is being discussed).

Take this thread for example: https://freevps.us/thread-13245-page-3.html
It is discussing what software is best for movies and the majority of the posts there just say what the name of the software is and they are not justifying their choices with an opinion or a sentence or two about the software.

Let's try and improve the quality of our posts, not only does it makes the threads more interesting to read, it also gets you points towards your VPS, and maybe even will help you improve your writing skills?
It doesn't have to be too long, two or three sentences will do as long as it is of a good standard!

Here is an example of a before and after that I would post as a reply in that thread:

Before:
Quote:The software I use is VLC media player for my movies.
(This would earn you 53 points)

After:
Quote:The software I use is VLC media player to watch my movies because of the compatibility it has with many different formats of video and audio files. There are also useful features built into the software such as a graphical equaliser which I would use regularly to make the movies sound better! It is also available on popular platforms like Windows and Linux making it easier to use as I only need to learn how it works on my windows machine and I can use it just as well on my Linux machine.
(Whereas, this would earn you 492 points!!)

See the difference? Now let's make our posts more lively and interesting! Cheese

(Another example of a thread where quality is in short supply would be this one: https://freevps.us/thread-1663-page-36.html )
Chris
chris@freevps.us
Great job, that's what all should do, and i'll work harder on my self to understand English better, so i can justifies my answers Smile
Yes this low-quality posts really suck. Some people are just posting s-it to get points. Or just writing some senseless crap to get as many points as possible. Oh btw. how's the weather in Denver today? I would never do anything like that. And the people who do that should be ashamed. Oh, did you know that the capital of Germany is Berlin?
best guy
Some people just want to make up their post count and already have a VPS: for them time is more important than writing good quality posts getting more points. Basically you don't have many people who want to write and spend time into doing so, example of people that do spend time is for S.L.C and those who have sticked around for a longer time period Smile
Of course adding genuine opinions will always add quality to posts and get much more points to members, but in the 2 example you've chosen it seems OPs were more after some statistics wondering " what email/media-player people like me use most?" rather than "tell me about that rare unheard-of email provider/media-player I'm missing out there, so I can switch to it"

So yes, it's always nice to hear a new opinion about GMAIL, VLC oor MPC but they are so popular the world can live without our opinions about them.

BTW sometimes we don't have any bright opinions to explain our choices. We just got used to some service so we stick to it although we know there are already better around, as long as it serves us well we're lazy to make changes.

So totally agree with your meaning, just thinking there are better examples of spammy/low quality posts around. If OP sounds like he's making a poll he'll probably get what he asked for
Yes i agree with you, a lot of members just want to get more posts, they don't care about quality of the post, even i at the start didn't care. That is why this is a good threat to discuss about this.

I will start working harder to improve my posts content rather then to have more post Smile
What if i use the named above software and i know that it`s nice and works fine but i don`t know how does it work or if it has any other functions than the one described in the first sentence of the second quote, should i spend 1-2 days (sometimes more) to read the user`s guide of the software and understand it(the user guide for multiple applications comes usually in english which i may not understand that well) before posting a reply?

I will answer "Yes" to my question(i won`t probably do the things mentioned above cause it`s just a waste of time to learn something that may not prove to be useful in the future just to reply to a thread) because that`s how it should be, if you really want your reply to help the thread creator...

On the other hand, the question itself sometimes bothers me because even if it looks pretty and complex it was just created by a smarter guy, or scrapped from different sources, just cause it counts as a post.

If something is unclear it maybe because english isnt my first language, nor the second and my thoughts got messed in the translation...
So Say We All
Another great example for a low quality posts can be found in the picture below. It isn't enough that it is a rather short post with no contribution (low quality) in this case. Morever the user who made the post has violated one of our rules about unnecessary quoting. The post is a really great example for excessive quoting and I've found more of these from the same user.

Rules Wrote:Do not use the quote function when not necessary (You can read here what we consider as excessive quoting).

[Image: vpwyCUF.png]
[yes, I know what the title means]

The theory of giving VPSs for participation in a forum (and thus ad views) is good, but tends to cause low-quality posts such as those seen here. Also, it attracts low-quality users that: typically don't know English or are pretending not to, those who are simply looking for a Minecraft server, et cetera.

The incentives here are clearly misaligned. It is in the benefit of the member to make as many posts as possible in an effort to obtain a better VPS and, assuming that time is valuable, spend as little time on each post as possible. In accordance with these objectives, the abovementioned results; low-quality posts, typically devoid of original content, et cetera.

Maybe there's a better way to do this though, by disrupting one of those incentives. Perhaps a method could be used whereby points are awarded partially by post quality. This could be determined via various methods, ranging from the community via voting or some other method, to the arcane, like spelling checkers, et cetera.

What do you think? Please no posts that only contribute "yes I think posts here are bad". Find something more to write about; perhaps an idea as to how this might be implemented in a feasible manner.
Thanks to FreeVPS for the, er, free VPS 7!
(2014-04-08, 6:47:13 am)Hello71 Wrote:  Maybe there's a better way to do this though, by disrupting one of those incentives. Perhaps a method could be used whereby points are awarded partially by post quality. This could be determined via various methods, ranging from the community via voting or some other method, to the arcane, like spelling checkers, et cetera.

What do you think? Please no posts that only contribute "yes I think posts here are bad". Find something more to write about; perhaps an idea as to how this might be implemented in a feasible manner.

You're right! But in reply to your suggestion, we have several moderators and admins who actively monitor every post made on the forums and delete the posts that we think aren't of a high enough quality to be worth points.

Users can easily earn their points by making good quality posts! Simple as that! There should be no extra reward for making good quality posts, because there shouldn't be any bad quality posts anyway. If you know what I mean! Smile
Chris
chris@freevps.us