[VPS] VPSBiT - Free Lithuania VPS - Review

VPSBiT - Free Lithuania VPS - Review

A week ago I have read a few comments by a LET member on LET about free VPSs by VPSBiT for a currency called CRT (carrot currency). I didn't pay much attention to it at that time because it was posted in a topic from another free VPS provider and went down quickly under tons of other comments. Later gooliver has messaged me and told me about them. I found it more interesting and could grab a VPS while it was in stock. Thanks to gooliver Smile .

It was available but is now out of stock. Sorry!

VPS Specifications:

Disk Size: 10 GB
Monthly Traffic: 100 GB
Memory: 512 MB
IP Addresses: 1 IPv4 IP Address
Virtualization: Xen
Control Panel: Custom (build into billing panel)
Connection: 10 Mbit/s (results show 100 Mbit/s)

System Information & Benchmarks

System Information

Code:
System Info:
CPU:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770S CPU @ 3.10GHz
Cores: 1
Frequency:  3103.132 MHz
Memory: 483 MB
Swap: 447 MB
Uptime:   2 days, 6:43,

Drive Speed:
I/O:  86.8 MB/s

What we get here is a powerful core of a 3rd generation i7-3770S CPU with a clock of 3.10 GHz. Totally enough for all kind of operations. 512 MB RAM (a bit less due to Xen and OS overhead). And the Debian "Jessie" 8.1.0 OS template I used came with a bit (447 MB) of Swap.

The drive seems to be a normal hard disk drive with a good speed of 86.8 MB/s in my test. That's a usable speed so nothing to complain about. No feeling of lags or anything. So all fine here.

Network Performance

Code:
Speedtest IPv4 only

CDN - nearest location:
Download speed from Cachefly: 10.9MB/s

America - United States:
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta, GA: 2.13MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 3.41MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 339KB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 2.64MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 4.11MB/s

Asia:
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, Japan: 1.79MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 474KB/s

Europe:
Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, Netherlands: 4.05MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, Netherlands: 10.1MB/s

Tunnel Broker IPv6 via Poland:

Code:
Speedtest IPv6 only

America - United States:
Download speed from Linode, Atlanta, GA: 1.63MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 366KB/s
Download speed from Linode, Newark, NJ: 3.39MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Fremont, CA: 2.52MB/s
Download speed from Steadfast, Chicago, IL: 2.69MB/s

Asia:
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, Japan: 2.52MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Singapore: 2.00MB/s

Europe:
Download speed from Linode, Frankfurt, Germany: 4.77MB/s
Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 4.64MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, Netherlands: 4.10MB/s

Not much to say actually, but let me explain why. Advertised were 10 Mbit/s, but as you can see yourself it's almost 100 Mbit/s with the highest results being 10.9 MB/s to Cachefly. I'm happy to actually get more than advertised.

I use tunneled IPv6 via Tunnel Broker and the nearest POP in Poland. Generally I learned that the tunnels aren't really good in terms of speed. On a German VPS I have it went down to around 50% of the actual bandwidth I had on it. Here you can see similar results. The VPS provider is not at fault here. The IPv6 tunnel is the issue but it's still usable as long as high bandwidth isn't required.

Geekbench Score

Code:
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3239593

Good single core performance. Don't pay attention to multi core performance because the VPS actually has only 1 core and 1 thread. Usable for whatever you can imagine on such a freebie.

My Opinion

A great small free VPS in a exotic country with a little more than advertised goodies. Something different than all the free OpenVZ VPS. Xen HVM is capable of running Windows which however is not provided by the provider and the specifications wouldn't allow it (unless you install Windows XP Pro SP3 Tiny/Micro).

It has a great performance and good network within Europe.
Looks like a nice VPS. Good specs for testing. How do I get this?
Thanks For the VPS 7, and the VPS 9 FreeVPS.

My Post Count:

[Image: img.php?v2=1&userid=13454]

FreeVPS Moderation Team - Make a thread in "VPS Help & Support" for any VPS related issues.

It is out of stock (I mentioned that in the first part of the review).

In the header of the site you can see the link to the free offer.
Nice review. I'd like to add that many OS are available (FreeBSD, OpenSuse, Scientific Linux are just examples) and their network is DDoS protected.

Free users can send them any ISO (like Windows) to mount for a one-time fee of 5$ (paid users get this service for free). I find that a nice deal for an unlimited small Windows VPS (although RAM is definitely a challenge).

I've actually missed their dedicated LET thread and got to know about them relatively late (through a different thread actually) but fortunately managed to get one (which had just expired & restocked). I'm so far happy with this XEN VPS and Eastern-Europe location offers me great benefits.

Company is new, their servers are located in Hong Kong and Lithuania (US is coming) and later they're planning to launch further locations, including Taiwan, Panama, United Kingdom and Serbia. Hopefully more nodes will be added for their free plan, too.

Much earlier this month on their Facebook page they published a 70% lifetime discount coupon for all their Lithuanian server plans . It would be worth following their offers in case they repeat something similar.

Free VPS require renewal every month to make sure they're active. Check their site regularly for any free VPS restocked.
Good review, good job mate ! Smile
Monthly traffic is low though.
Thanks a lot to freevps.us and GalaxyHostPlus for VPS 9 !
According to following thread, some VPS have been restocked on 20/8/15 . If you want try your luck OP invites you to contact him. Now approval is manual.
http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/612...k-in-stock
(2015-08-25, 9:11:30 am)gooliver Wrote: According to following thread, some VPS have been restocked on 20/8/15 . If you want try your luck OP invites you to PM him on LET or open a support ticket on VPSBiT website:
http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/612...k-in-stock

Sadly, it is out of stock at the moment.
[Image: y4BHv25.png]
Thank you FreeVPS and ZXPlay for VPS 7 and 19

[Image: show_img.php?userid=17170&vpscount=2]

Don't PM me for support, use an appropriate forum to ask for support
(2015-08-25, 9:21:28 am)abhe Wrote: Sadly, it is out of stock at the moment.

Since they have moved to manual applications and approvals (as you can read at the LET thread) I believe that 'out of stock' text won't necessarily change whenever they have new VPS restocked.
They have removed the order link behind the button where you see "Out of stock" now. So it probably does still mean that it is really out of stock = no more orders can be placed until they have stock and change the button to the order page.

Manual applications and approval could mean exactly that but how exactly do they want it to work? People have to register and open a ticket for a VPS? Their FAQ isn't saying anything. I don't believe they would do it so but rather manually scan/approve the orders after they've been paid with CRT by the registered client.
(2015-08-23, 7:01:30 am)tanmay.tat11 Wrote: Nice vps buddy. Bandwidth is a bit low but its free so its okay.

I bet you won't even reach 100 GB on your current VPS.

Their site is pretty slow on my side.
Their "SiteCoin" system is pretty confusing too