Tightened Rules Regarding Missing Posts
Information 
To all members with VPSs,

Too often members are making up their missing posts on the 1st day of the next month, then sending me a message on that day to say they had made up their posts, while in the process, making it seem like they have completed their posts for the next month also. While I catch this most of the time, and it isn't always intentional, I am starting to notice it happening more and more often, making it very hard for me to count posts, as I have to back-count posts to ensure they have all been completed.

With this in mind, I am laying out the following guidelines which may repeat, add to, or modify rules already in place. If this is the case, we will make every effort to update these in the coming days.

The missing posts PM template says that "Everything after the 1st will not be accepted...". As of this month, this will be final. In the past I have allowed members to reply 1 or 2 days late and everything has been fine as I have noted that some posts made in the current month counted for the previous. However, this will now be enforced unless there are special circumstances.

Posts made in the current month, will no longer count for the previous month under no circumstances (be it due to what I have explained above, or a similar reason), unless it has already been agreed with any member of staff in advanced. If you have a valid reason for not being able to post in the current month, and want to make up the posts in the next month, you must let us know before the missing posts PM is sent out (usually the 24th-25th of the month, but earlier in February).

In the past, people have used time zones as their reason for posts being late. Where the posts are counted, it is GMT (GMT+1 during daylight saving). That means that for up to 12 hours, people will still be in the previous month. Posts made in this time will count, but remember to send me a missing posts PM! If this is the case for you, please make sure that your time zone setting is correct in the user control panel so that this can be verified.

Members who make up their missing posts but fail to send a missing posts PM, may be at a higher risk of losing their VPS, as we will be terminating VPSs before the giveaway in order to solve any problems that may arise during termination, before the beginning of the next giveaway.

We hope that this makes things more fair for everyone, and clears up any questions that you may have had about the missing posts procedures.

If you have any questions/concerns, please let us know by replying to this thread, or by sending me a PM and we will do our best to explain.

Have a nice day!
Best Regards on behalf of the FreeVPS Team,
Chris
Chris
chris@freevps.us
That's a very good initiative in my opinion. Some of us really does not get time to complete posts before getting warning PM due to time crunch, but that does not mean, we should take part in devious ways to cheat the system ,and increase burden of our dear admins . As correctly pointed out, timezone issue is actually a common one. For that, I always suggest to complete posts 24 hrs before last day of month .
[Image: 3447516826.png]
I was wondering whether it could be an idea to allow quality posters to build a "backup kitty" of points. The backup "kitty" can be made up of more expensive points - i.e. one has to post more in  order to earn points for the "kitty" relative to regular monthly posts to keep the VPS. There would be a "cost of posts" assumed with the privilege of having the "backup kitty".  Maybe there could be a rule that only members with total X number of posts and above may use the system. There could be a formula in place that translates points into posts for the purpose of keeping the VPS, and a cap on the number of times one can use the kitty.    

I.e. if one needs to have 30 posts, then all posts that have been made over and above the post requirement can be added to the "backup kitty" along the lines of a formula for those who have X plus number of posts in total.  

Purpose would be to help your genuine quality posters who may have been caught unawares once in a while to have a backup in place.  And at the same time encourage them to post more as the "backup kitty" would reflect their greater effort.  May also be an incentive for quality posters to aspire to being part of the X plus posts group.
(2016-05-27, 3:17:50 am)deanhills Wrote:  ...

In the past we have said no to such a system, as to encourage activity on the forums throughout the whole month, members need to keep posting throughout the month, every month, and not make lots of posts in a small amount of time, then not post again for a month.
We can discuss the possibility of such a system again. Feel free to open a suggestion thread in the feedback section, where it can be discussed further by staff and other members Smile
Chris
chris@freevps.us
(2016-05-27, 3:25:14 am)cw1998 Wrote:  In the past we have said no to such a system, as to encourage activity throughout the whole month, members need to keep posting throughout the month, every month, and not make lots of posts in a small amount of time, then not post again for a month.
We can discuss the possibility of such a system again. Feel free to open a suggestion thread in the feedback section, where it can be discussed further by staff and other members Smile

OK got it cw.  Idea is to design it such that it won't interfere with the objective of having continuous activity throughout the month, only to help a special group of regular quality posters and only once in a while.  

I'll refine the idea and post it separately as per your suggestion.  I probably also need to "swot" up the suggestions that have been made in the past first.  Can only imagine there must be plenty of this type that have been made in earlier times of freevps.  So will work on it as a longer term project.  Smile
I would definitely appreciate that feature; however, there should be limitations as @deanhills mentioned.

Perhaps a maximum of 5-10 carried posts per month to prevent abuse?
"That but this blow
Might be the be-all and the end-all here,
But here, upon this bank and shoal of time,
We'ld jump the life to come."

-- William Shakespeare

Rest in peace, FreeVPS. The forum will be sorely missed.

My website } { GitHub } { Contact me: andrew@andrew-hong.me }

if peoples are short of post then why are they waiting for makeup tha short post untill 1st of next month??i think most of the people are short of maximum 4-5 posts which they can easily makeup during the next 2-3 days..its like daylight crime arguing with admins about this regard..they are kind enough to let us remind about our short post now its members responsibility to that in given time
Nothing much to say as rules are rules. It has to be obeyed to keep the environment fair for all. If there is no excuse, there can be no confusion in post counts. Nothing will be accepted after the 1st of next month which is final.
Damn, I did delayed my posts several times. But only with intent to avoid small posts like "thanks man", "I like it too" etc. I didn't really thought it would have this impact. Anyway, I will attempt to avoid delays from now.
Is there any tool where we can check the posts we made in the current month? This may help people to control better the posts they need to make.