Diskless Computer Cafe
There are lot's of computer cafe nowadays and different setups they do for low cost and I heard about diskless computer cafe. I just wandering how disk less computer cafe works? does someone here has a computer cafe?
I don't have one. But it's easy to understand on how it works.

You just build several client computers with EXACT configuration to avoid conflicts. (Without hard drives of course) Then you just put a hard drive in one computer then setup everything there. Once done, plug it in a server then make an image out of the hard drive. Setup the software to use the image file then the clients can PXE boot.

I also recommend using SSDs for storing the HDD image. That way when the clients boot it will be fast. Also use SSDs for the Applications that will be "streamed" from the server.
Don't use the server as your pc btw. It's better if you have a small dedicated server for it so performance won't degrade. (Since it will be frequently accessed)
There are lots of ways to make it a good setup.

CAT 6 and gigabit routers/switches are recommended for that setup. Also real gigabit network adapters of course.

P.S. Stay away from people who setup for overpriced prices. They learned it from tutorials. Just find those tutorials lol.
Sometimes i visit to a computer cafe near my house which use disksless disk method.
When i ask to operator (an admin) on there, why use diskless method.
"Easy to operate, especially when we update the latest patch of game online."

And the one of provider i know, which provide diskless disk installation for internet cafe is cyberindo[dot]co.id Cheese
Thanks FreeVPS.us and ZXPlay for VPS7 Smile

Quote:
This Month Post Count =
[Image: img.php?id=%2Ffvps&v1=true&userid=12036]
(2016-07-19, 12:13:27 am)Conan Wrote:  I don't have one. But it's easy to understand on how it works.

You just build several client computers with EXACT configuration to avoid conflicts. (Without hard drives of course) Then you just put a hard drive in one computer then setup everything there. Once done, plug it in a server then make an image out of the hard drive. Setup the software to use the image file then the clients can PXE boot.

CAT 6 and gigabit routers/switches are recommended for that setup. Also real gigabit network adapters of course.

But I guess if they are connected in one PC they will have a same IP.
(2016-07-19, 12:49:37 am)Vuluts Wrote:  But I guess if they are connected in one PC they will have a same IP.

The Internet cafe only has one connection so every user/customer will have the same public IP address either way. They will of course have different internal LAN IPs.
(2016-07-19, 12:49:37 am)Vuluts Wrote:  But I guess if they are connected in one PC they will have a same IP.
Ever heard of DHCP? You can also tie IP Addresses to MAC Addresses. (DHCP still gives the IP this way but it gives the same IP everytime. Giving Dynamic IPs in this setup is a problem.)
(2016-07-19, 12:39:29 am)noballz Wrote:  Sometimes i visit to a computer cafe near my house which use disksless disk method.

And the one of provider i know, which provide diskless disk installation for internet cafe is cyberindo[dot]co.id Cheese

It's also cheaper if you're gonna have a lot of Client PCs. Also lower power consumption. (Even if it's a bit, once it adds up it's quite worth it)
(2016-07-19, 12:39:29 am)noballz Wrote:  Sometimes i visit to a computer cafe near my house which use disksless disk method.

But it has also downside that when the main PC has problem all workstations PC wont work too right? since they are connected in main pc only.
(2016-07-19, 1:13:14 am)Vuluts Wrote:  But it has also downside that when the main PC has problem all workstations PC wont work too right? since they are connected in main pc only.

That's why the term "backup" exists. You can just setup a backup server. Then if you have a good router (DONT GET A NORMAL CHEAPO ROUTER FOR THIS. USE A DECENT PC THEN RUN PFSENSE), just set it as a failover.
(2016-07-19, 1:10:30 am)Conan Wrote:  Ever heard of DHCP? You can also tie IP Addresses to MAC Addresses. (DHCP still gives the IP this way but it gives the same IP everytime. Giving Dynamic IPs in this setup is a problem.)
It's also cheaper if you're gonna have a lot of Client PCs. Also lower power consumption. (Even if it's a bit, once it adds up it's quite worth it)

Yup heard of that but my problem here is when they "vote" in my server, my gameserver will be having a vote for points, players need to vote for my server in exchange of points but this vote for points are IP based and if 1 pc in diskless cafe voted then others pc cannot vote anymore.
@Vuluts is the voting in-game, or is it a web service? If it's the latter, using cookies would probably be an effective method to service those who use internet cafes.
-karatekidmonkey (https://codeco.pw)
Thanks to ZXPlay for my VPS!
http://www.islc.eu.org/fvps/index.php?userid=17742

natcp-verify-token-17742

Recheck