Stephen Hawking says we've got about 1,000 years to find a new place to live

Quote:"Although the chance of a disaster to planet Earth in a given year may be quite low, it adds up over time, and becomes a near certainty in the next 1,000 or 10,000 years," Hawking said in the speech, according to the Christian Science Monitor. "By that time we should have spread out into space, and to other stars, so a disaster on Earth would not mean the end of the human race."
I didn't realise that the earth is in this bad of a state. I would have felt much more at ease if he said a million years or so - but a 1,000?

What are your thoughts on this?
[Image: index.php?dualvps=1&userid=8551]
That guy isn't as smart as people think he is if he's saying such nonesense. Who in their right mind can think that humans will ever live anywhere other than earth? It's clearly impossible to find a habbitable planet in our reach. Sure we can go to mars, but that's like survival and not living. And space travel is very dangerous, even the strongest materials won't hold against a meteor shower, cause of the speed they move at. Oppening wormholes is a story for children, traveling at the speed of light(or the speeds necesary to get to a possible earth'like planet) is not possible for humans either...

Even 50 years is too much for the human race, not 1000-10000. At the rate we multiply now there are giing to be housing and feeding issues that will bring on more hate and unrest untill the bubble bursts and it all goes to hell. It's just simple math, at which mistah Hawking should be good at. I mean 1000 years, seriously?
So Say We All
(2016-11-19, 7:23:19 am)xaoc Wrote: That guy isn't as smart as people think he is if he's saying such nonesense. Who in their right mind can think that humans will ever live anywhere other than earth? It's clearly impossible to find a habbitable planet in our reach. Sure we can go to mars, but that's like survival and not living. And space travel is very dangerous, even the strongest materials won't hold against a meteor shower, cause of the speed they move at. Oppening wormholes is a story for children, traveling at the speed of light(or the speeds necesary to get to a possible earth'like planet) is not possible for humans either...

Even 50 years is too much for the human race, not 1000-10000. At the rate we multiply now there are giing to be housing and feeding issues that will bring on more hate and unrest untill the bubble bursts and it all goes to hell. It's just simple math, at which mistah Hawking should be good at. I mean 1000 years, seriously?

Who knows? It may be possible. In this day and age we are doing things that would have been scoffed at by our parents when they were our age, and that our grandparents would have considered nothing less than magical. Teleprescense robots allow two people on opposite sides of the world to communicate as if they were standing next to each other, AIs can diagnose diseases that elude human doctors, and we can all but immerse ourselves in digital worlds. Who knows what we will be capable of in 10 years, 50 years, a century?
Green text = speaking officially

Regular text = speaking as just another member
I don't think this topic is not proper to have an inference simply.What global warming and polution?
I think environment polution may occur before 1000 years.It may also effect human population.So just by seeing development in technology we can't say anything.
Earth is currently at 4.5b years and in the next four billion years, the luminosity of the Sun will steadily increase, this would result to a rise in the solar radiation reaching the Earth. Sooner or later, humankind will need to find a new home. Yet, I doubt it would reach to another billion of years considering many factors.
Tall image removed by mod.
Wordpress Web Design, Wordpress News
It's just one person and his opinion, nothing more than that.
I honestly don't believe this is an issue, as I'm sure humanity will realize any issues (e.g global warming, etc) and solve it before it ruins the Earth entirely.
Just wandering around, nothing more.

(Wow, it's been years and it took me this long to realize I had a typo in my signature :/)
(2016-11-18, 11:25:25 pm)Translucent Wrote: I didn't realise that the earth is in this bad of a state. I would have felt much more at ease if he said a million years or so - but a 1,000?

What are your thoughts on this?

It's not about a bad state but a chance of a disaster to planet Earth is always possible. Say if an asteroid could hit the Earth anytime... Although the chance is slim.

I think we already have the technology to find a new place to live. It just takes time to find it. So, 1000 years is possible because it is not a short time.
(2016-11-19, 2:58:38 pm)try3vps Wrote: It's not about a bad state but a chance of a disaster to planet Earth is always possible. Say if an asteroid could hit the Earth anytime... Although the chance is slim.

I think we already have the technology to find a new place to live. It just takes time to find it. So, 1000 years is possible because it is not a short time.

But will technology be able to advance within that time period without a standstill?
[Image: index.php?dualvps=1&userid=8551]
Well at least we won't have to worry as 1000 years are quite far in the future. It's certain that I'll be dead long in advance of "D" expiry date.

If Stephen Hawking said that though, I believe him as he is a scientist with integrity. If I compare the quality of food today with what I could get 10 years ago, and the rising incidence of cancer and other chronic diseases due to environmental deterioration, I wonder whether we are already feeling the impact of what he is saying.
(2016-11-19, 9:04:21 pm)Translucent Wrote: But will technology be able to advance within that time period without a standstill?

Who knows. If, let's say, in the coming 1000 years the technology will enable us to do some sorts of time travel, then the number of years needs to find a new place to live will not be an issue at all.