ServerPilot.io : Supporting the Debian OS
I recently have been using serverpilot.io for my Ubuntu VPSes , but a majority of the stuff I do , I prefer it on Debian 8 ,
I contacted the staff @ serverpilot.io quoted below:
Michael Wrote:Hello,

I was wondering if server pilot could add support for the Debian OS preferably, Debian 8.x (Jessie)

Debian is similar to Ubuntu and has virtually the same APT repositories, with a few minor name variations.

Kind Regards,
~ Michael
support@serverpilot.io Wrote:Hi Michael,

We don't currently have any plans for Debian support. We want to make sure we spend our time making ServerPilot as amazing as possible on Ubuntu. We will definitely consider it in the future if we see enough demand.

Best,
Jaryd

Do you think that the Debian OS has enough demand?
Give your thoughts below.
[Image: img.php?userid=19870&txt=1]
Thanks to FREEVPS.us  for VPS 14
A huge shoutout to @NoUptime for the steller cPanel Hosting
View me on IRC @SlashNET
You can also Buy me coffee

I never use any service like that. Everything build manually, *cause everything have a installation docs.
Thanks FreeVPS.us and ZXPlay for VPS7 Smile

Quote:
This Month Post Count =
[Image: img.php?id=%2Ffvps&v1=true&userid=12036]
(2016-12-17, 11:26:59 pm)noballz Wrote: I never use any service like that. Everything build manually, *cause everything have a installation docs.

I agree with you, but this Serverpilot service looks so easy and so hassle-free.
I think this is perfect those who can't use Linux CLI and needs more disk space, RAM, processing power than a shared hosting provider could offer.
It's like a shared hosting but with dedicated resources.
(2016-12-18, 12:15:27 am)HXY Wrote: It's like a shared hosting but with dedicated resources.

dedicated resouces with some limitations *lol
look at this https://serverpilot.io/pricing, Free SSL certificates only for paid membership.
It's powered by letsencrypt, just git clone and ./letsencrypt-auto certonly

poof, you have 90 days free ssl certificates (renewable).
However, maybe ServerPilot.io greats for an user who don't want to take pains to learn Speechless
Thanks FreeVPS.us and ZXPlay for VPS7 Smile

Quote:
This Month Post Count =
[Image: img.php?id=%2Ffvps&v1=true&userid=12036]
(2016-12-17, 9:57:11 pm)MichaelW Wrote: Do you think that the Debian OS has enough demand?

Ubuntu support is enough for me but, I still wonder why they can offer Ubuntu support but not Debian. I suppose adding Debian support should be very simple because there is no significant difference between Ubuntu and Debian.
1FLexNZazzgR8Fgh2zUPud3e1codupv1SE
(2016-12-18, 1:42:58 pm)noballz Wrote: dedicated resouces with some limitations *lol
look at this https://serverpilot.io/pricing, Free SSL certificates only for paid membership.
It's powered by letsencrypt, just git clone and ./letsencrypt-auto certonly

poof, you have 90 days free ssl certificates (renewable).
However, maybe ServerPilot.io greats for an user who don't want to take pains to learn Speechless

It's still possible to use Let's Encrypt with ServerPilot.io, but you have to install the SSL certification manually:
https://www.blogmehow.com/how-to-manuall...plan-1331/

@MichaelW
And to thread opener, yes, they should add support to Debian, because this is one of the most popular server operating system, and it has almost the same structure as Ubuntu has. Furthermore they should add support for CentOS 7 as well.
ServerPilot is a great service, especially the paid plans. Have used SP for some time, but unfortunately the restrictions on the free plan made me take the decision to stop using them for my personal servers. It's simply too expensive for Personal use.

On-topic: I don't think it's necessary to add Debian support. Most of you Debian-users would be comfortable with using Ubuntu I guess, as you mentioned they have a lot in common. The decision of SP not to support Debian (yet) is a good one, if you'd ask me, this way they can fully focus on Ubuntu instead of spreading their time (and arguably resulting in a worse service).
@Rick : you can install SSL manually:
HXY Wrote:https://www.blogmehow.com/how-to-manuall...plan-1331/

When it comes to Debian vs Ubuntu I think the key difference is that Ubuntu encourages users to use propriety software and Debian users to use Open Source software, many of the Ubuntu APT repos are mirrors of the Debian APT repositories.

The developers of serverpilot.io don't need to be actively supporting the Debian OS but, a passive change in the installer code might work.

tl;dr : I think supporting the Debian OS comes at no development cost.
[Image: img.php?userid=19870&txt=1]
Thanks to FREEVPS.us  for VPS 14
A huge shoutout to @NoUptime for the steller cPanel Hosting
View me on IRC @SlashNET
You can also Buy me coffee