[SOLVED] Cannot install any ruby version
Hello,

For past couple days i have been struggling to install ruby in my VPS which is ubuntu 16.04. I want to run jekyll and i can't because i can't install ruby. I have tried installing ruby by rbenv/rvm/make and non of them works. All of them says this error.

Code:
BUILD FAILED (Ubuntu 16.04 using ruby-build 20161225-3-g3956c57)

Inspect or clean up the working tree at /tmp/ruby-build.20161229131537.32750
Results logged to /tmp/ruby-build.20161229131537.32750.log

Last 10 log lines:
compiling ./enc/trans/big5.c
gcc: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1)
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-5/README.Bugs> for instructions.
enc.mk:782: recipe for target 'enc/trans/big5.o' failed
make[1]: *** [enc/trans/big5.o] Error 4
make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/ruby-build.20161229131537.32750/ruby-2.2.6'
uncommon.mk:598: recipe for target 'trans' failed
make: *** [trans] Error 2

I cannot figure out what's the problem here, i have tried different openssl version? But still this problem appear. Please help Skeptical
Do you have all dependencies installed on your system that are necessary to compile Ruby?

I found a similar issue on Debian "Jessie" 8.2 and it was due to lack of a lot of dependencies that were needed to compile Ruby.

Here is a link to the page with a case almost like yours just with Debian: https://github.com/rbenv/ruby-build/issues/889

I have one more question. Why are you not using Ruby from the Ubuntu repos? I see you are trying to compile a older version.
(2016-12-30, 5:52:24 am)HR Wrote:  Do you have all dependencies installed on your system that are necessary to compile Ruby?

I found a similar issue on Debian "Jessie" 8.2 and it was due to lack of a lot of dependencies that were needed to compile Ruby.

Here is a link to the page with a case almost like yours just with Debian: https://github.com/rbenv/ruby-build/issues/889

I have one more question. Why are you not using Ruby from the Ubuntu repos? I see you are trying to compile a older version.

I have to run jekyll 3 which only only supports ruby 2+. So i am trying to install any ruby version that works, tried both 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 but all of them failed and showed the same error.

But i fixed it, the problem was me not doing sudo make/configure and the libs weren't linking properly because of that. (on a non root account). Now it compiled successfully and i was able to install ruby.. Thanks for helping me @HR thanks Happywide sad to see you go tho ;-;