Super short guide on how to get a VPS here.
So you've registered here and you have a few questions but you don't want to read the whole FAQ. Well here's a quick summary of the basics.

NOTE: When I say "item", I mean something given in the giveaway. Could be a VPS, Dedicated Server or anything that might be given in the future.

Application:
  • Somewhere around the middle of the month. A topic will be created in this sub-forum, listing the number of items for which you can apply.
  • That giveaway can last for up to 5-8 days depending on how much work it takes to review each application and prepare each item to be given away.
  • In that period of time, a new sub-forum will become available that is locked when there's no giveaway. I hope I don't have to explain why it's locked.
  • When you've decided on which items you want/need from the available list. You create a new topic in that new sub-forum using this format (only you and the staff can see that topic!).
  • In order to apply though, you need at least 30 posts, a score of at least 55.0 and a warning level of 0%. From my experience, the actual score to actually have a chance of winning is >150.0.
  • After this, all you need is patience! And I can't emphasize this enough. People here do this freely and are not obligated to dance at the snap of your fingers. So don't b!tch about it.
Decision:
  • If more than a single user applied for the same item. Then the user with the highest score wins it. You can view your score on your profile page.
  • Which is why you can (and you should) apply for more than a single item. Listing them in a - most to least - desired order on your application topic title.
  • The score of a user is a combination of their points and reputation. Having more points and a positive reputation means a higher score and higher chance of winning.
  • Points are gained by writing more content in your posts. Each character is counted towards the user points. BB code and quotes are not included in the points.
  • Posts in forums like SPAM/Testing or Introductions do not count towards the user points. Actually, they're not counted anywhere. It's as if they don't even exist.
  • Don't go for the high spec items in your first few applications. Bigger fish than you are going to apply for them and you'll end up getting nothing. You can always upgrade after increasing your score.
  • Quality beats quantity here! (from a certain perspective) Especially if you want to go for the high spec items. So if you don't get any of the items that you applied for. This is why. And I hope I made this clear enough.
Advice (read only if you want to survive here):
  • Do not use excessive quoting. Quotes are not counted towards the user points. And I cannot emphasize this enough.
    • If you can get away with just mentioning the original poster. Simply use the @ symbol followed by the name of the user to which your reply addresses.
    • Surround the name in quotes if it contains spaces or symbols that would otherwise make it hard to be interpreted as a user name. E.g. @"this original.name"
    • Quote only the portion of interest and not the whole post. Remove the parts of the post that irrelevant to your reply.
    • Do not quote posts that include large portions of code. Makes you look really unprofessional and easier to fill the forum with bugged code, if that's the case.
    • Do not quote the first post in a topic (i.e. the topic itself). Makes you look like a moron. Especially when not necessary. I've seen people quoting entire tutorials.
  • Do not make unnecessary posts that barely meet the minimum character requirements. Includes posts which:
    • Omit reasons to backup your opinion, if any.
    • Omit facts to backup your claim, if any.
    • Are redundant. E.g. there's a pool but you also express your choice in a post that doesn't add any extra information relevant to the pool and not available in it.
    • Are not specific and/or ambiguous. And as such they require extra posts to get the full picture.
    • Are not relevant to the topic and/or proves that you haven't read the topic (including previous posts).
    • These are most likely to be removed by staff members.
  • Do not make topics that are not relevant to this community. Although this is an arguable subject and you may get away with it.
    • For example. Creating a topic with a question related to something that already has more dedicated communities.
    • Simply because you may have a higher chance of getting help there.
    • Recently seen here, are people asking questions about the Unity3D game engine. They either get removed or die without any replies.
  • Do not make topics that are simply too obvious for anyone living in this day and age. For example, making topics like these:
    • Have you heard of YouTube, Facebook, Google etc. ? (yes, there are people that do this!)
    • Do you like programming? (why in the world would anyone learn programming when they hate it?)
    • Have you heard of W3Schools? (anyone even remotely associated with the content of that site is very likely to know about it)
    • I hope you get the idea now. Don't do this. Makes you look dumb.

This summary is only to allow you to see whether you'll fit into this community without having to read the whole FAQ first. After reading this. If you've decided that you can agree to what was summarized. I highly suggest that you go ahead and read the official FAQ.

The reason I've created this is that it's annoying to explain it to every new user that comes here and asks in the shout-box. This is just so I don't repeat myself in the shout-box every time. I may update this in the future to include other information and/or rephrase things where necessary. Have phun Cheese
According to https://freevps.us/announcement-13.html, you need a score of 55
(2017-04-09, 12:24:23 pm)Conan Wrote:  According to https://freevps.us/announcement-13.html, you need a score of 55

So I guess i was almost close. Information here got so scattered that I just didn't even bothered to try and get the exact number. I kinda understand why most new users are intimidated by that huge FAQ that links to all kind of scattered announcements, topics, posts, pages and so on. Pretty much the reason behind this small comprehensive guide. It's just too much information to process that is not in a particular order. Kinda like a tree that you have to follow from each branch towards the root. For us the older guys, that's easy. But for a new guy? That's messed up.
(2017-04-09, 4:10:59 am)S.L.C Wrote:  
  • After this, all you need is patience! And I can't emphasize this enough.

Only noticed these Guidelines now - wow - great work @S.L.C.  I've got a heavy heart in that I was unable to get an equivalent standard VPS during FreeVPS's last giveaway to the VPS 27 which I'm about to loose at the end of this month. I was going to "cry" about this in the Spam/Testing Forum and then discovered your excellent post.   I was then reminded of my own philosophy and you're so very right to emphasize it.  PATIENCE!  I'm still a relatively new member at FreeVPS - although I'm beginning to feel old in terms of having completely embraced the Forum - however after I joined in February last year in the beginning I waited VERY PATIENTLY for the absolutely right VPS to make its appearance.  If one is a beginner and never had a VPS before a 512 GB RAM VPS is ideal for starting/experimenting and learning, but I'd already used a VPS before and 1-2 GB RAM was my minimum.  I learned very fast that the more quality posts one contributed to improve one's score the greater the chances of getting the VPS one really wanted so decided to work on increasing my chances with posts while I was waiting for the right VPS to make its way.  I was over the moon when I got my VPS 27 a few months into my membership and it was well worth the investment of patience.  In the meanwhile there are so many quality posts that I had worked through from other members like yourself, Hidden Resources and more - I had been learning so much about VPSs, how to do reviews, tips on security, etc. - so if one is really patient there can be great rewards as well one of them being an above average VPS education. 

The other very important thing I learned as a new VPS competitor was to test the IPs of the VPSs on offer.  I learned that HostUS VPSs from Texas worked faster with my ISP than VPSs in France.  Like one shouldn't think geography proximity when one chooses a location.  One should think ISP friendly and test the location IP.

Anyway, am keeping my fingers crossed as from the end of this month I'll have to travel the "VERY PATIENT" road again and test all of the available VPSs for their proximity to my ISP.  I'm dreaming and hoping magic will make its way with a sponsor adding a juicy VPS or someone surrendering one.  One thing is for certain.  The competition for the higher spec VPS is likely to get tougher, so maybe there could be a silver lining in that more posts will be created. I'm dying for some quality posts in the Forum, of the type that I can learn from.