Stepping down from my admin role
Dear members, friends, staff, ex-staff, sponsors and visitors of FreeVPS Directory & Discussion,

This message is a notice of my stepping down from the position of Giveaway Manager and Administrator in this community as of Friday the 1st of September 2017. After 3 years in this role, and hundreds of VPS requests processed, it is time for me to move on. This is definitely not a decision I have taken lightly. This difficult topic has been on my mind for a number of months now, and the staff will know that I have discussed this with them in the past weeks. I have explained more about my decision to do this in a Q&A styled write up below. Please do reply with any other questions you might have and I can add them to the post.

Why are you leaving?
In one word, ‘time’.
As a full time student, with a job and other responsibilities and commitments away from the desk, I have very little free time to myself. This is something you may have noticed first hand if you sent me a message, or a request for support and it took me some time to respond in recent months. I can only apologise for my slow response times. Trust me when I say, I never intend to keep anyone waiting!
Similarly to @Hidden Refuge in 2016 when he was leaving, I have a reasonably lengthy commute (well over an hour each direction), and this combined with early mornings and working late at night (sometimes not getting home until after 01:00 AM), I simply no longer have the time to devote to FreeVPS that it deserves/requires, and time that I had when I started out in this role.
On top of this, changes in personal circumstances mean that I am rarely at home on any weekend days due to work or family matters, which means I am unable to visit FreeVPS at the weekends. Something had to go to free up some of my time, and priority has to be given to education and work, so unfortunately I must step down from FreeVPS to make this happen (among a couple of other things).

FreeVPS is famous on the Internet for providing awesome support, and this is something I feel I have fallen short of in recent months due to lack of time. (especially after the legacy that @Hidden Refuge left behind!) I hope that whoever takes over from me will be able to provide the same first class support that this site has become so well known for.

When are you leaving?
As mentioned above, I’ll be stepping down officially on the 1st of September 2017. In reality, it will be a couple of days after that as I will finish my last duty of processing the replies to missing posts PMs that come in on the 1st (and some on following days). Also depending on the circumstances, I will also see any open support tickets with providers through to the end. I will be running my last giveaway - August 2017 - on the 15th of the month as usual and you will receive a missing posts PM from me as usual around the 25th if need be.

Who will replace you?
That will be up to the team to decide. One of the current team may decide to take up the role themselves, or they may go through a process to bring someone new into the team. I know they will do the right thing for the community, and keep it in their best interests. Either way, I will be around to offer advice and tips for managing the giveaways to whoever will take over, just as @Hidden Refuge helped me out when I started.

Will you still be around?
Yes! I will still visit the site when I can as a regular member.
It has been a great experience for me, and a pleasure to connect with, and get to know so many people in this community, so please feel free to send me a message whenever you want! I would be here for days if I had to list the people who made this experience great, so thank you all.

What’s next for you?
With a little bit of space created in my time, I will use it to catch up on much needed sleep, (my FreeVPS duties were often done in the early hours of the morning!), devote extra time to study, and spend more time with friends and family.

Final words
I would like to thank the staff at FreeVPS for giving me the opportunity to be your giveaway manager over the past 3 years, and thank you to all the current staff team for working with me. @Optimus, @dmmcintyre3, @Ignis, @PokemonEx222, @supertanno ; it's been a pleasure.
Thank you to all the sponsors that I have worked with over the past 3 years, for continuing to provide an excellent service to FreeVPS. Lastly thank you to all the members. This site truly would not be what it is today without the members who have helped shape it and make it grow over the past few years.

I’d like to apologise again for the slip in quality of service from me in recent months, and I’m sad that I have to leave, but I now believe that it is the right thing to do. I wish you all every success for the future, and see you around on the forums.

Christopher Wilkinson
Chris
chris@freevps.us
Thank you, Chris, for all the time you have given to this community. Although I was not fortunate enough to be here for all 3 years of your admin term, I can extrapolate from the part I was here for and see what a good time for the forum it must have been. I wish you well with your future endeavors, and hope to chat with you from time to time when life isn't too busy. God bless and safe travels.

~~Ignis
Giveaway Manager, FreeVPS Directory and Discussion

Also a big fan of Anime, see my poor taste here.
Good luck in your life, but its really a bad thing you leaving staff you was too much friendly with every user hope we get a friendly admin who cares about us
[Image: img.php?userid=19215]
It's been a pleasure Chris. You've always been understanding whenever I happen to be a bit late on the post completion and I (we?) appreciate that. Despite your lack of time I always found you to be on time. At least from my perspective. I haven't said anything when @HR left so I won't say much here either. Just that I'll see you around :y:

I wish I could automate more of this process to make life easier for whomever happens to become the next giveaway manager. This way, he won't feel overwhelmed by the tasks he has to perform.
Sad to see another administration member stepping down from his position, however I understand your decision, hope to see you around the forums even as normal member Smile
Thank you Evolution-Host and FreeVPS for the VPS 6

[Image: img.php?userid=19316]
@cw1998 It was a pleasure to work with you. These years time 1 Year files like 1 Month so totally I understand I have been there, Hope you will be successful in College and you achieve your goals. I see you around as a regular member.
(2017-08-02, 11:00:20 pm)S.L.C Wrote:  I wish I could automate more of this process to make life easier for whomever happens to become the next giveaway manager. This way, he won't feel overwhelmed by the tasks he has to perform.

It's a hard process to automate because of the amount of manual checking, and the fact that there are many different control panels and providers! Choosing the winners is the easy part as it's based on score, but the creation of the VPSs is the more time consuming part. Generating secure passwords, typing the stats into the create server form, etc.

The missing posts notification service can absolutely be automated. It's something many of you have attempted! I just don't have the PHP knowledge to implement the system directly to officially support it, that's why i always counted posts by hand, and used a spreadsheet to generate the rest of the numbers needed for the message, and to keep track of who has replied etc. It's not that bad really; once you get into a rhythm, it can actually be quite relaxing if you have some music on as well.
Maybe if the forum was built on a different framework (one I'm familiar with) i could have written something to send out the PMs. Smile
Chris
chris@freevps.us
@cw1998 many control panels have a remote API for automating these tasks (ZXPlay). Kinda like Facebook and Twitter. Many programming languages have some SSH library to connect to VPSs once you give them the IP. Password generation and VPS preparation could be automated with that. It's not that I don't know PHP but I hate it. Recently I got into Go lang. And from the little I learned so far it should be fairly easy to automate these tasks. Such as nuking each VPS before given away.

Counting can also be even more accurate. Since you could run an even deeper count directly on the database and exclude posts from removed topics which still appear for a while, thus tricking the count. And many more of these things could be automated. Unfortunately you guys deal with more than just one VPS panel for me to take on that task. I might try it some time, if I get the time, to make a prototype and then see if I can go from there.

Anyway, I realize I'm going off-topic so I'll end this here.
@cw1998 Will miss the missing post message Sad , (since i get one every month from the time i got a vps).
any way i think it was a good choice although it was a difficult choice to make.
And Thanks for all the help
Also all the best wishes for your future Smile

“You Either Die A Hero, Or You Live Long Enough To See Yourself Become The Villain”
Fly
Oh, another sad retirement, thanks for helping us and providing your time for the community.
I know the value of time, and I wish you all the best for your life and career.
Show support by wearing an Avatar or Signature or Custom Rank if you think freevps.us should not be closed.
Code:
[IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/15z1afs.jpg[/IMG]
#SaveFreeVPS for the future