What are the percentages of the factors that affect domain DNS propagation?
Two days ago I learned that the reseller host I have an account with had changed servers.  I then of course had to change the name servers of the domains and was totally blown away with how fast the propagation was.  Like maybe 2 minutes?  Normally I wait before I try a domain after I have fixed the new name servers, but I wasn't thinking when I tried the domain - it took a little pause and while I was thinking I shouldn't have tried it as it's going to mess up my DNS - there it was.  I was wondering whether it could have grabbed previous DNS but I then checked the domain with DNS Inspect and it was completely up to date with the new IPs and name servers.  

So this got me wondering.  What are the percentages of the factors that affect domain DNS propagation?  In this case could the major percentage be TTL of the reseller host through WHM?  Or are the percentages of the factors equal to one another?  Is there one that is more crucial than the other?

The factors being:

TTL (Time to Live) Settings - cpanel - host 

ISP Internet Service Provider

Domain name registry through name servers
Usually the propagation will always be less than the TTL which was set in your domain name registrar's website. It is usually 8 hours but sometimes when you also have other CDN's like Cloudflare along the way it can take upto as they say 48 hours. In my experience the worst propagation I have seen was around 4 years ago when it took a total of like 20 hours or so to propagate the changes I had made to all networks. Like at around 5 hrs or so the propagation was successful on my mobile network but it had not propagated to my main ISP which took around 20 hours like I said.
[Image: img.php?userid=15852]
(2018-01-25, 5:41:16 am)JackRyder Wrote:  Usually the propagation will always be less than the TTL which was set in your domain name registrar's website. It is usually 8 hours but sometimes when you also have other CDN's like Cloudflare along the way it can take upto as they say 48 hours. In my experience the worst propagation I have seen was around 4 years ago when it took a total of like 20 hours or so to propagate the changes I had made to all networks. Like at around 5 hrs or so the propagation was successful on my mobile network but it had not propagated to my main ISP which took around 20 hours like I said.

I have most of my domains with NameCheap, also one with NameSilo, another two with DomainElectronic and four with dot.tk.  So maybe then it's a general thing that domain registrars are setting their TTL to the lowest point - like different from before.  Used to in the past that I had to do the name servers the evening before and then wait first.  But right now it goes something like this.  I get the new IP, I then go to any of those four registrars I mentioned to change the name servers - I usually create name servers with my domains so it's a question of adding a new IP to the name servers.  By the time I've loaded new WordPress databases in my VestaCP that's the point where I check whether the DNS has propagated, and each and every time it was fully propagated.  I virtually had my WordPress sites up and running within minutes of making the name server change.  Kind of brilliant - or who knows maybe just lucky or something.  I haven't had a time most recently that I've ever had to wait for the DNS to propagate.
Well, This confuses me as well. On my reseller it takes only like 10 seconds. Skeptical
       My Post Count:
[Image: img.php?userid=20087&vps2]

I think you mean how much time will take to update if change your name server in control panel? I guess 14000 sec and max 24hour. But aftre 1 day if your browser not pointing to main domain then please clear your cache and then try again.
Yeah. Everything is right....Or wrong?
(2018-01-30, 7:57:18 pm)ALPANAWEB Wrote:  I think you mean how much time will take to update  if change your name server in control panel? I guess 14000 sec and max 24hour. But aftre 1 day if your browser not pointing to main domain then please clear your cache and then try again.

No.  That was not what I meant.  Refer my OP.  It's not about the speed, but about the factors below that affect the speed. How do they compare with their effect on the speed of the DNS propagation - which one is more dominant than the other?

Quote:What are the percentages of the factors that affect domain DNS propagation?  In this case could the major percentage be TTL of the reseller host through WHM?  Or are the percentages of the factors equal to one another?  Is there one that is more crucial than the other?

The factors being:

TTL (Time to Live) Settings - cpanel - host 

ISP Internet Service Provider

Domain name registry through name servers
I would say TTL,
As if you have not queried the website for even a single time and you change the nameservers, then if you query your domain after changing the nameservers, as your isp would not have in its cache the previous address of the domain because nobody asked for it, hence it would ask the registrar which would give the latest result that you just changed, if the registrar changes the your domains nameservers instantly in their servers.