Why do some people keep changing their VPS on every giveaway?
Why do some people keep changing their VPS on every giveaway?

Just wondering. From time being administrator I noticed this a lot lot lot lot lot lot lot whole lot. What moves them to do this?

Why would someone who hosts a Wordpress blog keep changing their VPS every month? Just an example of a application that I remember that appeared every month.
I suppose they want to test and review all VPSs that can be given for free. There are many members here that apply for a VPS and use it for testing/leaning purposes, so why not? But yeah, if someone wants to host their blogs/website or maybe a gameserver, they won't change their VPSs for sure. I did not changed my VPS 9 since I got it almost have it 3 years, I tried to change it, but thankfully to you for rejecting my request because the VPS 9 lately got upgraded and was very happy after that. Smile
Well...
Hello there!

[Image: img.php?userid=11569]
Maybe they look at the Giveaway as some kind of sport and wanting to try out a new sports car that looks slightly shinier than the one before.  It's more about the VPS than the actual content they're going to put on it.  If they could have their way they'd like to have a stable of shiny VPSs.  

I think I can relate as every Giveaway there's the urge to participate as it's fun and exciting.  What holds me back is being rational about the fact that I have a fantastic VPS.  It's a perfect fit and I'm more than happy with it.

I will need a second VPS one of these days for a different category of Websites.  Two months ago when I got impatient with competing for a VPS that wasn't immediately forthcoming I subscribed temporarily.  Will be fun to compete again even if it is for a second VPS and am planning to stretch this out as long as I can. I really like the thrill of the Giveaway - it has some exciting energy around it and for me it is what makes FreeVPS tick for me.
And then complain that the giveaway manager can't keep up. Well, how the hell can he keep up when they all fuss around like it's some sort of game. I wanted to ask this question myself many times. But I thought it was just me.

But I see an issue with this. If I remember correctly. The VPS you're giving a way is likely to continue staying active until the net giveaway. To allow you to "backup". Which means, you have two VPSs available to host game servers and only have to fill the quota for one. The word-press guys couldn't care less about this. But the game-server guys are likely to be capable of this.

I honestly think there should be some limitations on reasons to change your VPS. At least have something that would discourage this kind of behavior. For example, having to keep a VPS for at least 3 months unless there's a legit reason to change it. Like a significant upgrade or constant downtime. Dunno, just a legit reason that makes sense.

This behavior is ridiculous and unnecessary.
(2017-12-19, 6:58:29 am)SLC Wrote:  I honestly think there should be some limitations on reasons to change your VPS. At least have something that would discourage this kind of behavior. For example, having to keep a VPS for at least 3 months unless there's a legit reason to change it. Like a significant upgrade or constant downtime. Dunno, just a legit reason that makes sense.
I don't think it's as bad as you make it sound.  The staff have just made new rules earlier in the year where technically we're not able to compete for a higher spec VPS during the second giveaway.  Sofar there just hasn't been high-spec VPSs available during the second giveaway.  So that should go a long way to VPS ownership discipline.   Why not leave it to the Giveaway Manager to exercise his discretion when someone gets out of hand with VPS changes and deal with it subtly behind the scenes on a case by case basis?  

I'd personally rather that staff focus on getting more VPSs and maintain good relationships with our sponsors than waste valuable energy on creating new rules and regulations.  Like right now the priority should be to enter into a major discussion with Ashley of zx-play as we're on the verge of losing 13 of our very best VPSs.  Like someone should find out from him how he is doing, as he's going through probably the worst of times and who knows, with the damage he's been through there could be decisions made that could lead to the end of 13 high quality VPSs for us.  We should be focussing all of FreeVPSs creative energy on figuring out how those VPSs will be replaced if they're going to be lost.  At the minimum we need to know whether he's going to fix the FreeVPS zx-play VPSs that are down - also whether he'll be spending the same amount of energy as with his premium customers to see whether the data of the VPSs that are down could be re-captured or whether they need to be created from scratch.  Like now's the time for staff to finesse who has the best relationship with zx-play and for that retired member to try his best to find out how to fix things. I'd also say it is a priority to make a list of the members who have zx-play VPSs, which of the VPSs are down, and how crucial the data on the VPSs are that are down.  Like maybe there are members who have their data backed up in a way so it wouldn't be huge hardship to have the VPS recreated from scratch.  That would help when you're talking to zx-play.
(2017-12-19, 11:15:54 pm)deanhills Wrote:  ...   Why not leave it to the Giveaway Manager to exercise his discretion when someone gets out of hand with VPS changes and deal with it subtly behind the scenes on a case by case basis? 
This could be interpreted as playing favors and not being transparent. And we'll soon enter discussions like "why x could change his vps and I couldn't?", "Is the manager playing favors?" etc. You can see where I'm going with this.
@SLC

You are spot on about that's. That's just asking for trouble.

Sometimes we have no choice but to change vps. for example I have changed 3 VPS since August and twice I was forced to to do so because of sponsor related problems. And I have had my VPS18 for more than 2 years now without changing.

BTW why does this thread landed in SPAM ? it looks pretty legit.
[Image: img.php?userid=8114&vps1]

@dudex because I opened it here prepared for some less valuable replies that some people make.

If this turns out to be a valuable discussion thread staff can feel free to move it.
I got some unstable VPS in past and moved into a stable VPS. Well if you can get an awesome vps for free why not get one? Someone will get the old vps as well. So it is absolutely ok for me to change to a better VPS.
@tukai

That's not the problem.

I'm talking about people who apply on every single giveaway. Every month a new VPS or even two new VPSs these days (since owning two VPSs was introduced). Just that to "host a wordpress" site?