NEW RULE: About deleting threads and punishments
Dear members of FreeVPS,

As of today, we've added a new rule:

Quote:Do not attempt to abuse or exploit the point system in any way. Abuse and exploitation includes but is not limited to any action that allows you to get more points than you should for a post. Staff reserves the right to determine what behavior is exploitative.

Lately, we've seen a lot of users gaming our points system by creating threads and immediately deleting them. This allows you keep the points of your now-deleted posts. It's a clever way to keep your points, but it's obviously against this rule.

As such, we will now be taking a hard stance against this. We can see your deleted posts, we know when they were deleted, and if we find they were deleted to help your points score we will take immediate action against you.

If you want to preview your thread, there's a preview button. There's also a perfectly good edit button. If you've made a thread but want it deleted for whatever reason, be sure to at least notify a staff member of this and the reason why. It'll save you a warning.

With regards,
On behalf of the FreeVPS staff
supertanno
I'm the oldest still-active member of this forum.
Got any questions? I'm here to help! Just shoot me a PM and I'll get back to you.

hahaha. it seems it has been happening a lot lately ! felt curious about the names of those involved .. but that might be inappropriate ! so let me express my amazement .
just wooow !
Many thanks to Freevps, Chris (cw1998), The Guy( ID 4810), optimus, GHP and the other  staff members.
@supertanno How do you know that members have been deleting threads and posts to score points?  Like that is a HUGE accusation.  I've been deleting threads and posts without the slightest idea that there was an issue with points. I'm a perfectionist with my posts and threads.  I don't like that writing on top of a post that says one has edited it X times.  Sometimes I don't like my thread or post and delete it. How could I have known about the points issue?  Like who in their right mind checks their points every time they've made or deleted a post and thread?  I never look at my points, only at my number of posts.  I don't care about my points.  I only care about my posts.

Now that I know about the points I won't ever touch the delete tool again.  But I'm annoyed at the same time.  Like this deficiency belongs to FreeVPS Forum not to members who may be falsely accused of something they're not even aware off.

If it is such an issue for the staff, why not just disallow the ability to delete posts and threads?
@deanhills

This is an old trick some used for gaining forum cash / points in old days. Not something hard to figure when a new member do this coz they would have lots of points for usually small number of posts. So any mod who checking deleted post/thread list can figure who's trying to game the system. I don't think it will be a problem for you since everyone knows you post several times more than the posting requirement. So not need to be upset about it.

Disabling delete ability is not a good solution. It will effect those who use the function for real reasons like you do. Forum Staff handling it correctly. Rule is placed so everyone can see this is not something tolerate here. Nobody can say they don't know about it. Same time mods can manually weed out these bad cookies.
[Image: img.php?userid=8114&vps1]

(2018-03-14, 12:07:32 pm)dudex Wrote:  Disabling delete ability is not a good solution. It will effect those who use the function for real reasons like you do. Forum Staff handling it correctly. Rule is placed so everyone can see this is not something tolerate here. Nobody can say they don't know about it. Same time mods can manually weed out these bad cookies.

I don't know whether you've seen the part in the announcement about if you want to delete something in future you should notify the staff.  So wouldn't it be easier to disable the tool as you'd have to run it by the staff anyway?  You may just as well ask them to delete it for you. 

Quote:If you want to preview your thread, there's a preview button. There's also a perfectly good edit button. If you've made a thread but want it deleted for whatever reason, be sure to at least notify a staff member of this and the reason why. It'll save you a warning.
@deanhills

Well I did miss that part indeed. I thought they are doing to warn anyone who trying to game the system since to do this someone has to create and delete bunch of threads fast or it's pretty much useless. And if someone do it then its easy to figure. Agree with you about that part. Don't see a point of notifying staff everytime you delete something.
[Image: img.php?userid=8114&vps1]

Quote:Disabling delete ability is not a good solution. It will effect those who use the function for real reasons like you do. Forum Staff handling it correctly. Rule is placed so everyone can see this is not something tolerate here. Nobody can say they don't know about it. Same time mods can manually weed out these bad cookies.
in addition to this, there is not an easy way to disable deletion while still keeping the proper functionality available for staff to remove spam. Messing with deletion is another one of the many things MyBB does not do well with.

We also don't have issue with deleting posts on occasion / if you feel the content is no longer relevant. However the delete button should not be a substitute for the edit button.
Giveaway Manager, FreeVPS Directory and Discussion

Also a big fan of Anime, see my poor taste here.
Deleting posts still keeps your points? Sound like a design flaw to me. Perhaps it's because when a user deletes a post they only soft-delete it?

@Ignis I think what @deanhills is saying is to restrict deletion permission to the staff, which might be reasonable if the abuse of this feature happens frequent enough.
@thirthy_speed

Yes, it is due to soft-deletion.

There is no way to restrict soft deletion to staff that I know of.
Giveaway Manager, FreeVPS Directory and Discussion

Also a big fan of Anime, see my poor taste here.
Admin may can define the option in user group setting (Home » User Groups » Edit User Group) of group "Registered" and sometime may need to edit custom permissions in each forum.
Show support by wearing an Avatar or Signature or Custom Rank if you think freevps.us should not be closed.
Code:
[IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/15z1afs.jpg[/IMG]
#SaveFreeVPS for the future