HDD Dieing?
Recently had an issue when booting my computer so i decided to make some checkups of my hardware.
After installing Crystal Disk Info i found out this:

[Image: 8a1790c3746b833b1ea08166598f5611.png]
Current Pending Sector count: 8
Uncorrectable Sector Count: 8

Should I be worried about this or there's a way to fix it?
Thank you Evolution-Host and FreeVPS for the VPS 6

[Image: img.php?userid=19316]
Yes, you should worry because the broken sectors cannot be repaired as mentioned by the disk health & info checking software. Using the disk for anything productive at this point is something I would not recommend. It could fail anytime or could working but with data loss and similar side effects.

I would recommend you to take backups of everything important ASAP and get a new drive.

1 TB drives are cheap. Prices are starting at like 35 € / $43 on a price comparison site in Germany. I can really recommend HGST drives as these are usually really long lasting* and good in general or a Western Digital drives. Hitachi is also good.

What I cannot recommend are Seagate or Samsung drives (Seagate is basically just making drives for Samsung under the Samsung branding)**.

So good companies for drives are:
- HGST / Western Digital
- Hitachi / Toshiba

* According to a lot of hard drive failure testing done by the company Backblaze over several years.
** See yourself at https://www.seagate.com/support/by-product/samsung/

P.S.: As always don't forget to read product reviews. There are a lot of good hard drives out there with thousands of real positive reviews that are a really good "bang for the buck".
(2018-03-20, 9:40:18 pm)Monad Wrote:  
Yes, you should worry because the broken sectors cannot be repaired as mentioned by the disk health & info checking software. Using the disk for anything productive at this point is something I would not recommend. It could fail anytime or could working but with data loss and similar side effects.

I would recommend you to take backups of everything important ASAP and get a new drive.

1 TB drives are cheap. Prices are starting at like 35 € / $43 on a price comparison site in Germany. I can really recommend HGST drives as these are usually really long lasting* and good in general or a Western Digital drives. Hitachi is also good.

What I cannot recommend are Seagate or Samsung drives (Seagate is basically just making drives for Samsung under the Samsung branding)**.

So good companies for drives are:
- HGST / Western Digital
- Hitachi / Toshiba

* According to a lot of hard drive failure testing done by the company Backblaze over several years.
** See yourself at https://www.seagate.com/support/by-product/samsung/

P.S.: As always don't forget to read product reviews. There are a lot of good hard drives out there with thousands of real positive reviews that are a really good "bang for the buck".
Hello and thank you for the fast response. Guess that i was lucky enough to notice it in time to take some precautions before a complete data loss of the files in the HDD.
It is also good that it is not being used for anything productive or work-related since i use it only for gaming purpose the only thing i would have lost would be some game clients and probably some prictures.
Since I was already planning on buying an SSD for my computer where i would put OS plus some games, how bad is the status of my HDD? is 8 damaged sector a big amount? Is there any attempt i can occur in order to 'fix' those sectors?

Sorry if I haven't explained it properly. Uncorrectable sectors cannot be corrected/repaired. There is nothing you can do to fix them. You could try to avoid them somehow when storing data. The number could increase anytime. You cannot predict how fast a failing drive will die.

I have the SSD for OS and important programs and 2x 1 TB HDD for games and so on. I would recommend a SSD + HDD combination.
The funny thing is, I was just cloning my disk before I restarted my computer to copy all my data from my soon to fail WD Blue disk to the new Seagate Firecuda disk. Even when people say Western Digital is good, I probably won't be using their disks again. The disk started to show signs if it failing a few months out of their warranty period so I'm a bit disappointed. At least the Seagate Firecuda disks are backed by a five year warranty so if it fails after five years, my computer is already old enough anyway...
Thank you HostUS for VPS 16!

Check out @coreyman's Free VPS Club for a free VPS with only 15 posts/month!
No waiting required to get a free VPS, just make posts and apply!
According to that data mentioned above by Monad all we can say logically is that some series of WD HDD show very good longevity. What I read about that and this topic on other forums is that it is mainly some models that do perform well. WD is not at another level than Seagate. I used an 1tb Seagate laptop drive for 6 years as heavy duty external drive using everyday to read write on average couple tb data as i used it for torrent download and watching. My client runs 24/7. It is still in ok condition. Spin up time ok. No irreplaceable bad sectors yet. So you see, we need much more extensive data to predict. And i think even after that we will see that some models from both sides do better. It is not that one sided. We just like a winner i guess Tounge. I like to buy WD whenever I can. Hitachi or HGST is absurdly costly with respect to the others.
Many thanks to Freevps, Chris (cw1998), The Guy( ID 4810), optimus, GHP and the other  staff members.
@IEpicDestroyer

I can understand your frustration. Of course the failure rate of WD is not magically 0%. They also have failing drives. The failure rate of WD is however lower than the one of Seagate/Samsung for example. Especially big disks seem to fail a lot with the Seagate/Samsung brand. It also depends on the series of drives. Some are more likely to fail than others due to production factors (i.e. the cheapest drives might not have a good production planning to save costs and may base on older technologies).

Take these reports for example and check the failure rate of Seagate 4 TB disks:
- https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-driv...s-q1-2017/
- https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-driv...s-q2-2017/
- https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-driv...s-q3-2017/
- https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-driv...-for-2017/
- https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-driv...tats-2016/

Q1 report for 2018 should be coming soon. It will be interesting to see improvements. Small disk from Seagate/Samsung have improved in the last years already. So can we expect big disk to improve, too?

@rudra

Yes, smaller Seagate drives have improved a lot over the years. They seem to be pretty robust and stable by now. I have 3x 1 TB Seagate that I got from old computers and they are all still working. They survived a lot of abuse actually (computers being dropped while running, all kind of crap being installed, put on them and etc) and are in good standing according to disk health software like the one in the OP post. The speed is still pretty good ~130 MB/s read/write.

Anyway. My post was just my opinion/recommendation. You don't have to take it or follow it Smile .
I am going for a Western Digital 1TB HDD and a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD for a total of 130€. Would you reccomend anything else?

@Monad It's good to hear that my new 1TB Seagate disk probably won't fail anytime soon as it seems that their small disks are improving quite a bit. It is covered by a five year warranty so I shouldn't have much issue anyway. If it shows signs of it failling, I'll just backup and RMA it. By the the time the warranty expires, the disk and the computer itself is probably quite slow anyway.

By any chance, is there any failure rate stats online for my exact model (ST1000LX015) or a smaller Seagate disk?
Thank you HostUS for VPS 16!

Check out @coreyman's Free VPS Club for a free VPS with only 15 posts/month!
No waiting required to get a free VPS, just make posts and apply!
Oh dif I just see 2gb , is that a 2gb hdd and it is working ? Well its better to get a ssd its getting cheaper and faster. I thik go for good high quality drive such as 8tb or so so you always have an extra space for your goods
Yeah. Everything is right....Or wrong?