Be careful with Windows 7 last updates! Systems restore Windows 10?
Something is up with the last updates of Windows 7 Professional. I'm on "let me choose" and decided on 10th of April to check out the updates. The updates I chose were in between January and April - I chose all of them.  What worried me is that it took MUCH longer for the updates to be downloaded and even longer to be installed compared with my previous updates.  That probably should have been a warning sign.  Then when I rebooted my computer, I found my system VERY slow - like it hardly wanted to move.  Initially I thought it was a one-off and Microsoft was still configuring some of the updates and working in the background, but I then discovered that some of those updates also impacted programs such as my VPN.  I was no longer able to use it.  And the slow start up didn't stop.  Like every time I restarted or logged in it took ages for Windows to load, and everything was much slower.

What I did to solve my problem was to restore my Windows 7 to the point before 10 April updates.  That took some doing as it asked that I disable my Kaspersky, but Kaspersky links on its Dashboard were unresponsive - mostly as a consequence of the updates as this happened after the updates.   I tried twice and both times Microsoft couldn't do the restore because of Kaspersky.  So in the end I completely uninstalled Kaspersky and that did the trick.  My computer is now back to the performance it had before those updates of 10th of April.  Restoring it to a previous point solved the problem.

This whole thing makes me super depressed as at least with Windows 7 Professional I have some control, but what happens with Windows 10 when I have no control over the updates and they're all automatic?  Will I be able to restore Windows 10 to a previous date?

I'm also worried of course as some of the updates were critical security updates.  I don't have a clue which ones were the ones that impacted my computer's performance the way it had.  And after a few hours of struggles and not so good computer performance of a few days I'm not motivated to find out.

I also let go of Kaspersky for now.  I'm now using free Microsoft Security Essentials together with Malwarebytes.  I think Kaspersky is probably better, but I'm tired of all of the conflicts.  At one stage I was tempted to completely reformat my hard disk again, except of course that would have been shooting myself in the foot.
[Image: 4ax8Kok.png]
Thank you to the Staff of FreeVPS and HostUS for a great VPS experience!
What task manager had to say about resource usage?
So Say We All
(2018-04-18, 3:56:57 am)xaoc Wrote:  What task manager had to say about resource usage?

I actually didn't look at that @xaoc.  I probably should have.  May have been an interesting story.  I feel wonderful at the moment as working on my desktop is like a breeze again in comparison with what it was before the system restore.  Tonight I installed Skype and I'm almost convinced with the conflict that there was after the update it would have been painful, whereas tonight it was effortless and fast.
I have stopped running updated for Windows 7 for a while now since last last years. I know it might be not a smart choice but it's practical because for several headaches I had coz of these updates. Plus I have I have give up on Kaspersky years ago. It looks good and problem work great but gives too much trouble like it trys to take over the control of computer. lol

These days Im happy with Windows 7 Ultimate with Comodo security suite. Haven't had trouble for a while.
[Image: img.php?userid=8114&vps1]

(2018-04-19, 12:03:19 am)dudex Wrote:  I have stopped running updated for Windows 7 for a while now since last last years. I know it might be not a smart choice but it's practical because for several headaches I had coz of these updates. Plus I have I have give up on Kaspersky years ago. It looks good and problem work great but gives too much trouble like it trys to take over the control of computer. lol

These days Im happy with Windows 7 Ultimate with Comodo security suite. Haven't had trouble for a while.

After my last updates I'm with you on this @dudex.  I'm going to stop running updates.  I completely feel like a victim when I'm using the updates.  I'm running with Microsoft Security Solutions and Malwarebytes, but may check out Comodo security suite as I've heard good things about them.
Yea it would have been great if you took a look at task manager, it`s usually a good idea to see what`s causing the load. I`m probably keeping it open always on my machine just in case. xD And i agree that windows update sucks. They should really rethink how they deliver the updates because it slows down the machine a lot during the update process. Also the high load could continue even after the reboot because there`s still some configuring going on in the background or something. Maybe that`s what happened in your case. Do you have a hard drive or a solid state drive in the machine?
So Say We All
(Yesterday, 7:51:51 am)xaoc Wrote:  Also the high load could continue even after the reboot because there`s still some configuring going on in the background or something. Maybe that`s what happened in your case. Do you have a hard drive or a solid state drive in the machine?

That was exactly what happened.  But there were also conflicts going on between Kaspersky and Windows.  I'm sure it must have been a security update and with every reboot of the computer all of it is fighting with one another from scratch.  Maybe after 45 minutes or so it quietens a little down, but the load times of my browsers both Chrome and FireFox were very long.  Even after 45 minutes.  In the beginning if I clicked on FireFox too early on start up it just wouldn't load. 

Am definitely relieved all of that is over now.  Look as though one has to get a script that protects one from Windows updates, like can analyze the updates one by one and indicate what they are going to affect and by how much.  Updates have become almost as bad for one's computer as infections can be.
sometimes windows updates breaks the existing apps , you have to either reinstall those apps or have to reset windows to fix the same.. but in my case I update win 10 regularly but didnt faced this problem much other than in rare cases
[Image: img.php?userid=5534]