Poll: Which location would you prefer?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Buffalo, New York
12.50%
1 12.50%
Dallas, Texas
0%
0 0%
Los Angeles, California
50.00%
4 50.00%
Montreal, Quebec (Canada)
12.50%
1 12.50%
Amsterdam, Netherlands
25.00%
2 25.00%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Preferred VPS location?
Hello,

I am posting this poll to see where most FreeVPS users would prefer for vps locations given their choice?

Please vote. Thanks.

Buffalo, New York
Dallas, Texas
Los Angeles, California
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Montreal, Quebec (Canada)
@StellarVM On the face of it none of those locations would be my choice. You're only covering a very small number of locations and excluding important ones like Germany, France, England, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia and in the US Atlanta, Pennsylvania, Phoenix, Colorado and Seattle that I can think off but I'm sure there are more.

Location depends mostly on how one's ISP networks with any given location, the specs of the VPS and how the VPS is configured. So I'd need to have the IP of the location first to check whether it works for me. Given that, in my experience so far Germany and England have been the better locations. France has not been good. I haven't tried the Netherlands yet but it may be good. The US is not ideal as it's situated very far from my ISP but the locations that have worked slower than Europe but still OK so far are Pennsylvania, Phoenix, Dallas and Los Angeles in that specific order.
Honestly, I keep a fleet of servers (1 or 2 VPS per region) instead of preferring just one. Buffalo, I can already tell you that the DC will be ColoCrossing. Dallas, Los Angeles are both QuadraNet (probably). Montreal is OVH, and I believe Netherlands would be in Singlehop.

In terms of preference, I don't really have a specific location that I need particularly. Many US locations can serve Canada and LA can serve Asia, though you also need coverage in the Eastern US, which can usually be covered by Québec or New York. If you're looking to find locations to sell, pick the ones that have good connectivity to multiple places.
"That but this blow
Might be the be-all and the end-all here,
But here, upon this bank and shoal of time,
We'ld jump the life to come."

-- William Shakespeare

Rest in peace, FreeVPS. The forum will be sorely missed.

My website } { GitHub } { Contact me: andrew@andrew-hong.me }

Thanks for those two great answers yes the reason that I am asking is to be selling vps servers in the next couple of months while I finish up some things with my investors and the reason i gave those locations is that they are those offered by the dedicated server provider I already work with.

Amsterdam Test IP 104.227.248.134
Montreal Test IP 104.227.97.6
Buffalo Test IP 69.58.3.171
Los Angeles Test IP 23.250.122.10
Dallas Test IP 104.227.175.51
@StellarVM

Are you planning on using B2 Net Solutions? They're a reseller of ServerMania, which for some reason also shills (handful of 1-review positive reviewers). Allegedly, ServerMania isn't friendly to spam either, so if one of your customers go nuts, they can apparently assess a $250 clean up fee for the first offense. After that, it can go up to $500!

If you're looking for a good first location, stick to OVH until you raise enough capital to expand. Make sure your business is sustainable too!
"That but this blow

-- William Shakespeare

(2018-04-19, 9:33:12 am)StellarVM Wrote:  Thanks for those two great answers yes the reason that I am asking is to be selling vps servers in the next couple of months while I finish up some things with my investors and the reason i gave those locations is that they are those offered by the dedicated server provider I already work with.

Amsterdam Test IP 104.227.248.134
Montreal Test IP 104.227.97.6
Buffalo Test IP 69.58.3.171
Los Angeles Test IP 23.250.122.10
Dallas Test IP 104.227.175.51

I pinged all of them and out of the pings Amsterdam is the best and Los Angeles the worst location - my results were the following:

Amsterdam Test IP 104.227.248.134 = 206 m/s
Montreal Test IP 104.227.97.6 = 284 m/s
Buffalo Test IP 69.58.3.171 = 295 m/s
Los Angeles Test IP 23.250.122.10 = 348 m/s
Dallas Test IP 104.227.175.51 = 319 m/s

In my experience the VPS specs may make a difference.  The higher the specs the less effect the latency has.  Like it will still be an issue but the issue becomes more subtle.  The smaller the specs, the greater the effect of lack of latency.  I had a situation like that with Charlottesville North Carolina, i.e. a low spec VPS but from a very good host and it nearly brought my VPS to its knees.
I had actually planned on going directly with ServerMania I will have to look closer at their policies though because i did not know about that $250 clean up fee.... I understand spam is bad but imo thats ridiculous

UPDATE: Thanks for mentioning OVH Im looking at them now and so far I like what I see.
@deanhills

Woah, I didn't know time was measured in meters per second!
"That but this blow

-- William Shakespeare

(2018-04-19, 2:05:42 pm)FlamesRunner Wrote:  @deanhills

Woah, I didn't know time was measured in meters per second!

lol just goes to show what a misplaced slash can do - creates meters out of milliseconds.  Wink
The best location is one which most suited or your cause. For example if you are running a website targeting USA people then find a hosting location in USA. If your target audience is German people then use a German location. If you are just using Remote Desktop connection then find a location which is closer too.
[Image: img.php?userid=8114&vps1]