Google Drive
04-25-2012, 03:19 AM
Google Drive
Heads up!

New service from Google! Google Drive!

Basically, it's a file storage service. Similar to Dropbox, SugarSync, Box, and various others with it's own Googleness.

You get 5GB's for Free for your Google Account. They let you store anything and share it with anyone.

If you wasn't already aware of Google Docs, this is very similar. In fact, I think it's the same product just re-branded to allow the general storage of files. Not just documents for Google's Web Editor.
I've added Google Drive to my account and all my files from Google Docs are already there!

I bumped into this from a blog post over on OMGUbuntu. and their question is whether or not this will include support for Linux.
Similar to SugarSync and Dropbox, Google is offering clients to download to your operating systems for ease of use. Will this just be reserved to Windows, Mac and perhaps the smart phone audience ? Or will they be nice enough to let the Developer Community build a Linux version?
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/04/googl...x-support/

What are your thoughts on Google Drive itself? And what are your thoughts on a linux version?

[Image: robcollins.png]

/$ Currently: Studying Software Development at College.
User Tools
Quote this message in a reply

04-25-2012, 04:09 AM
RE: Google Drive
Meh, I'll stay with Dropbox, it's already compatible with almost any platform.

I think this will become a fail just like Google Talk, but who knows?

My blog
User Tools
04-25-2012, 04:11 AM
[Image: Screen%20Shot%202012-04-24%20at%202.11.35%20PM.png]
No thanks, I'll keep using Dropbox then.

[Image: original.png][Image: djJK.jpeg]

Thanks for the VPS LoomHosts and FreeVPS!
User Tools
04-25-2012, 04:16 AM
If I want rules like that and get more than 5GB storage, I prefer to use skydrive (microsoft) and you get 25 GB old users and 7GB new users.

Quality VPS and Shared Hosting at MitiHost.com
FreeVPS, for give me a good vps ...............
User Tools
04-25-2012, 05:13 AM
(04-25-2012 04:11 AM)kiwiboom Wrote:  [Image: Screen%20Shot%202012-04-24%20at%202.11.35%20PM.png]
No thanks, I'll keep using Dropbox then.

I think you may want to read the DB license terms:

“By submitting your stuff to the Services, you grant us (and those we work with to provide the Services) worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sub-licenseable rights to use, copy, distribute, prepare derivative works (such as translations or format conversions) of, perform, or publicly display that stuff to the extent we think it necessary for the Service. You must ensure you have the rights you need to grant us that permission.”

VPSadvice.com - discuss VPS providers, read reviews, get help, share opinions
User Tools
04-25-2012, 06:19 AM
I'm happy with Ubuntu One which has been offering 5GB for free since way longer than Google. Since I'm an Ubuntu user and U1 was specifically designed for it (I heard it has a Windows client too, but haven't tried it), I see no advantage in switching to another cloud storage service. U1 also has an Android app which I found to be quite good...

When using Linux, you really only have two (or one) options:
- Ubuntu One (only if using Ubuntu);
- Dropbox (which from what I've heard, integrates pretty well with the system despite being a binary blob).

Google Drive has no Linux client, only Windows and Mac OSX. Microsoft Skydrive only has Windows clients (obviously) - plus, they previously offered 25GB, but lowered it to 7GB (duh) and put the 25GB plan as an optional free upgrade available to existing users.
Box has no free client software, you must use the browser (I have a free lifetime 50GB account which I got when they ran a promo some time ago for those who installed their Android app). ADrive offers 50GB free for everyone, but has no desktop clients in the free plan.

Conclusion: I got back to where I became - Ubuntu One. Obviously it is only an option for Ubuntu users, but I feel no need to switch to another service.

My blog
[Image: fs.php]
User Tools
04-25-2012, 07:25 AM
Google keeps revisions which is nice. And viewing files online. Something drop box and icloud lack

Thomas Edison Wrote:I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Regarding Low Quality Posts: http://fvps.us/thread-13316.html
Write Better Replies to Tutorials: https://fvps.us/thread-13473.html
User Tools
04-25-2012, 08:02 AM
(04-25-2012 06:19 AM)gbl08ma Wrote:  When using Linux, you really only have two (or one) options:
- Ubuntu One (only if using Ubuntu);
- Dropbox (which from what I've heard, integrates pretty well with the system despite being a binary blob).
Add SpiderOak and Wuala to that list.

Ubuntu One will work one any distro, though it is a bit of a pain.
SpiderOak is dependency hell, so I hate running it.

I personally use Wuala. It works on every thing I use, is more secure than dropbox, allows for unlimited computer to be synced, and I currently have 19GB free (though 11Gb of that expires in July).

I have been meaning to give Ubuntu One a try but access to their servers is blocked at my school, so its kind of useless to me.
User Tools
04-25-2012, 09:54 AM
(04-25-2012 08:02 AM)f8ll Wrote:  .
I have been meaning to give Ubuntu One a try but access to their servers is blocked at my school, so its kind of useless to me.

haha, my school does not even block dropbox.... and if they block something i use tor browser to access it.

[Image: logo.jpeg]
User Tools
04-25-2012, 11:46 AM
all google drive and dropbox was block by my isp

post with Fedora 20 since 2013-12-17
SMS me +1 (919) 200-0188
User Tools